President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni announced a regional 42-day lockdown on Sunday 6th March, 2021 as a means to curb the spread of COVID-19.
It is 433 days now since president Yoweri Kaguta Museveni announced the first Covid-19 lockdown (March 21st, 2020) – the same number of days since bars and concerts have been banned.
Bars, night clubs, concerts, music shows, and other leisure events were banned with other public gatherings in March 2020 with the Coronavirus breakout.
The story is not about to change for the arts industry because the new presidential directives extend the ban on public events and concerts for another 42 days.
Bars, nightclubs, and other hangout spots also continue the long streak of lockdown for the next 42 days.
Below is a summary of what President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni announced as part of the new restrictions to curb Covid-19 spread.
- Schools closed for 42 days effective 8am on 7th June 2021.
- Churches, mosques and open air worship closed for 42 days.
- All teachers to get vaccinated before resuming teaching when schools open.
- Public, cultural gatherings and conferences suspended for 42 days.
- Travel from category A countries remain suspended except for returning Ugandans.
- Agriculture activities like cultivating and ploughing gardens and fishing to continue.
- Non agricultural activities like factory, construction, shopping malls and super markets to continue while observing SOPs.
- Factories, hotels, Markets, to operate under strict observance of SOPs.
- Marriage ceremonies and other social gatherings allowed with a maximum of 20 people under strict observance of SOPs.
- House parties are strictly banned.
- No. Of persons at burials and vigils should not exceed 20 people.
- Weekly non food markets suspended for 42 days.
- Cattle markets suspended for 42 days.
- All public transport between and across districts are suspended for 42 days from 10th of June 2021.
- All inter district travel banned except between Kampala, Wakiso and Mukono for 42 days. Only cargo trucks excepted. Registered travel vehicles and service vehicles excepted.
- Public transport allowed within districts. Private vehicles limited to 3 people within districts.
- Cargo trucks are allowed only 2 people.